Today is National Fitness Day. The event aims to highlight the importance of physical activity in helping us to lead healthier and active lifestyles.
What is National Fitness Day?
National Fitness Day was set up to raise awareness of the benefits of physical activity. The organisation provides simple steps in order to become more active, while enjoying taking part.
Currently the UK is facing an obesity crisis. NHS research shows that the increase in obesity had led to the admission of over 617,000 patients into UK hospitals due to obesity related issues.
Being more physically active means you:
- Have better mental health. Exercise helps you to manage stress, helps with depression and anxiety.
- Feel good about yourself, improving your self esteem and confidence.
- Sleep better.
- Can concentrate better and are more productive.
Physical activity guidelines recommend that we need at least 2.5 hours of exercise a week to achieve health benefits. These health benefits will be beneficial in the workplace and in our personal life. Alarmingly, research shows that 21% of men and 25% of women in the UK are classified as inactive.
Join the movement. No time? No problem..
Being active should be part of your daily life. Even if you have a busy lifestyle, use the time you have available.
- Workout at work by visiting an outdoor gym during your lunch break.
- Choose to park further away than you normally would and walk the rest of the journey.
- Take part in an office exercise workout!
Here at Sunshine Gym, we are very dedicated to getting you more active. We supply outdoor fitness equipment which can help to get you moving during your working day. The Health Walker allows you to complete a full cardiovascular workout at your own pace, but without the painful impacts that comes from exercising on hard tarmac. Spending just 10 minutes of your lunch break exercising on outdoor gym equipment can increase your fitness levels dramatically!
Don’t forget to take your colleague along as research shows that if you exercise in company, you are more likely to stick at it. The social atmosphere creates a positive environment which is important in helping us to have fun and keep you active!
Celebrate your fitness
Here are some ideas in how to share awareness:
- The core to National Fitness Day is the #Fitness2Me Campaign. The campaign aims to celebrate what fitness means to you, acknowledging that it means something different to each of us. You can find further information by visiting #Fitness2Me.
- #MyFlyingStart is a campaign set up by AXA PPP Healthcare, encouraging the nation to get active before work or even during the day! Discover more on their campaign by visiting AXA PP Healthcare.